Former Supervisor David Campos
immigrated to the U.S. from his native Guatemala at age 14 with his parents and two sisters. Despite not initially speaking English, David excelled in school, graduating at the top of his class from Jefferson High School, in South Central Los Angeles. David earned scholarships to Stanford University and Harvard Law School, graduating in 1993 and 1996.
He then entered public service, acting as the Deputy City Attorney for the City and County of San Francisco beginning in 1999. As a Deputy City Attorney, David handled a variety of important legal matters and cases, including serving as the lead counsel in implementing the San Francisco Unified School District’s school desegregation.
David served as a member of the San Francisco Police Commission before being elected Supervisor of District 9 in 2008, a job he calls “the greatest of my life.” As Supervisor he has restored tens of millions dollars for neighborhood services like the Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center, authored the Health Care Security Ordinance which attempted to close a loophole that allows businesses to claw back unused money in their worker’s Health Reimbursement Accounts and passed an ordinance strengthening penalties against those seeking to scam in-trouble homeowners out of their money.
David also serves as chair of San Francisco County Transportation Authority and represents San Francisco as a member of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC). In 2012 he led the charge for funding for Free MUNI for low-income youth from the MTC.
David has lived in the beautiful Bernal Heights neighborhood for the past nine years with his partner Phil and their French bulldog Winston.
- 12/04/08 to 01/08/09
- 01/08/2009 to 01/08/2013
- 01/08/2013 to 01/08/2017
Committee and Board Assignments:
- Board of Supervisors
- Joint Meeting - Board of Supervisors and Police Commission
- Budget and Finance Committee
- Budget and Finance Subcommittee
- City and School District Select Committee
- City Operations and Neighborhood Services Committee
- Government Audit and Oversight Committee
- Joint Meeting - Neighborhood Services and Safety Committee and Police Commission
- Joint Meeting - Public Safety and Neighborhood Services and Local Agency Formation Commission
- Land Use and Economic Development Committee
- Land Use and Transportation Committee
- Neighborhood Services and Safety Committee
- Public Safety and Neighborhood Services Committee
- Public Safety Committee
- Rules Committee