Former Supervisor Carmen Chu - District 4
Supervisor Carmen Chu was elected to the Board of Supervisors in November 2008 and November 2010 to serve as the city's representative to the Sunset/Parkside District after being appointed to serve in September 2007.
During her time on the Board, Supervisor Chu has worked on legislation to encourage more companies to do business with the city by streamlining the city's contracting process; provided protections to tenants who are victims of domestic violence; strengthen regulations, coordinated enforcement and expanded community review of proposed massage establishments; and encouraged small, local business participation in city projects.
Supervisor Chu also joined forces with the PUC to develop the largest municipal solar project in the country at the Sunset Reservoir, and continued to work with city departments to support and enhance our neighborhood commercial corridors.
Supervisor Chu served as Chair of the Board's Budget & Finance Committee for FY 2011-2012. Together, with labor, community advocates, City departments, and the Mayor's Office, the Board of Supervisors were able to agree on a $6.83 billion spending plan that provided funding for our most vital City services and which closed a $380 million General Fund budget deficit.
Supervisor Chu had again been selected to serve as Chair of the Budget & Finance Committee to steer the FY 2012-2014 budget through the Board of Supervisors. As Chair, Supervisor Chu's goal was to ensure that the City has a responsible budget in place to account for the years beyond the current fiscal year.
Prior to joining the Board of Supervisors, Supervisor Chu worked to improve the lives of San Francisco residents through her tenure at the Mayor's Office of Public Policy and Finance, where she served as the Deputy Budget Director and worked on projects such as the 311 Customer Service Center – a centralized point of access to City services available to residents 24/7. Under Supervisor Chu's direction, San Francisco was awarded the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award in 2006-2007 from the Government Finance Officers Association for the annual proposed budget document.
In addition to her work in developing and forecasting the city's annual and long-term budget, Supervisor Chu brings with her hands-on experience in municipal finance. Prior to joining the City, Supervisor Chu consulted with PFM, a private consulting firm that specializes in advising municipalities on the management of debt and financing of large public works projects.
Supervisor Chu received two degrees in public policy. She graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a Bachelors degree from Occidental College. Supervisor Chu also earned a Master's degree from the Goldman School of Public Policy at the University of California, Berkeley, where she was the distinguished recipient of a Public Policy and International Affairs (PPIA) fellowship.
Supervisor Chu served as Chair of the Budget & Finance Committee, and as member of the San Francisco County Transportation Authority (SFCTA), Health Service System Board, and the City Operations & Neighborhood Services Committee. Supervisor Chu also served as a Director with the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District, and is a Board Member of the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG).
- Appointed 09/25/07 - 01/11/08
- Appointed 01/11/08 - 01/08/09
- Elected November 2008 for term January 2009 to January 2011
- Elected November 2010 for term January 2011 to January 2015
Committee and Board Assignments:
- Board of Supervisors (9/2007-2/2013)
- Budget and Finance Committee (3/2008-7/2008; 1/2009-1/2010; Chair 1/2011-1/2013)
- Budget and Finance Sub-Committee (3/2009-7/2009; Chair 3/1/2011-7/26/2011; Chair 3/2012-7/2012)
- City and School District Select Committee (1/2011-1/2012)
- City Operations and Neighborhood Services (9/2007-2/2008; Chair 3/2008-1/2009; Chair 1/2010-1/2011; 1/2012-1/2013)
- Government Audit & Oversight Committee (1/2010-1/2011; Chair 1/2013-2/2013)
- Public Safety Committee (12/2007-2/2008)
- Rules Committee (1/2009-7/2009)
- Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) Executive Board (7/2012-6/2013)
- California State Association of Counties Board of Directors (2/2008-11/2008)
- Golden Gate Bridge Highway & Transportation District Board of Directors (2/2009-1/2011; 2/2011-1/2013)
- Health Service System Board (5/2010-2/2013)
- Transportation Authority (9/2007-2/2013)
- Transportation Authority - Finance Committee (10/2007-12/2008)
- Transportation Authority - Finance Committee (2/2012 - 2/2013)
- Transportation Authority - Personnel Committee (2/2009 - 12/2009)
- Transportation Authority - Plans and Programs Committee (2/2010 - 1/2012)
- Transportation Authority - Plans and Programs Committee (Chair 2/2009 - 12/2009)
- Urban Counties Caucus (2/2008-12/2008)
Note: Click on the photo of SupervisorChu to open high resolution copy. After opening, right click on the photo to save image.