Wet Weather Safety Tips
For Information in Spanish, Filipino and 中文, visit: sf72.org/hazard/severe-storms
- Prepare for storms by clearing storm water basins, using sandbags, and your finding flash lights and extra batteries.
- San Francisco Public Works provide up 10 free sandbags leading up to and during severe rainstorms. Sandbags are distributed Monday-Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Public Work Operations Yard (Marin Street/Kansas Street Gate). Bring proof of address. Sandbags are also sold at many local hardware and home improvement stores.
- If the power goes out, unplug and turnoff appliances. Leave one light on to signal when power is restored.
- If you home/office is prone to flooding, and time permits, move valuable possessions to the upper floors of your home.
- Avoid walking through standing water, even ankle deep.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If floodwaters rise around your car, abandon the car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.
- Stay clear of water that is in contact with downed power lines.
- Sign up for AlertSF by texting your Zip Code to 888-777.
- Call 311 for non-life threatening storm issues. Call 911 for emergencies.
Download ReadyReady Information in English, Spanish, Chinese (中文), or Filipino.